This roast, served with garlic mashed potatoes and the rest of the red wine, was a delicious dinner for a cold and rainy day.
1/4c olive oil
1 (2-3lb) beef round tip roast
1 medium yellow onion
8 oz. pkg. baby carrots
3 celery stalks, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/8 tsp allspice
1c red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
1 1/2c beef broth
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Dredge the roast in the flour, shake off the excess, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste.
- Sear in the hot oil on all sides. Remove to roasting pan.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and allspice; cook till lightly browned.
- Add the red wine and bring to a simmer before pouring in the beef broth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
7. When the meat has finished cooking, remove to a cutting board, and allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing and serving.