2 pie crusts, deep dish
4 TBSP olive oil
1c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1c mushrooms, chopped
1c carrots, sliced
1/2c celery, cliced
1 large russet potato, diced
1 pound steak, cubed (I used top round - it was on sale)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
1c Marsala wine
2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. In a large skillet, onion, mushrooms,bay leaf, and oregano in olive oil until soft and fragrant.
3. Stir in garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, and meat.
4. Cook and stir until meat starts to brown.
5. Add wine and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
6. Pour into prepared pie crust and top with parsley.
7. Cover with remaining pie crust and crimp edges to form a seal.
8. Brush with egg white.
9. Bake approximately 45 minutes. Check the pie periodically and, if it's looking a little crisp, just lightly cover with foil until finished baking.
Don't cover it the whole time though because you want a pretty, golden crust.