This was great comfort food on a cold and rainy day.
2 TBSP olive oil
1 lb. beef stew meat, cut in approx. 1" pieces
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder, or to taste
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
3/4c white or yellow onion, chopped
1c carrots, chopped
1 bottle dark beer (I used Guinness - Regular, not Stout)
3 bay leaves
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325*.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3. Sprinkle meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add seasoned meat to pot and brown on all sides.
4. Add flour and stir lightly to coat the meat with the flour.
5. Add onion, carrots, dark beer, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cover.
7. Remove Dutch oven from stovetop and place into the preheated oven.
8. Cook approximately 1 hr. and 30 min., stirring halfway through.
Slow Cooker Option: Follow directions 1-6, then throw everything in the slow cooker. Set the heat on Low and leave it alone for the next 6-7 hours (time will vary depending on your unit).
Serve over colcannon or garlic mashed potatoes.